The Loiterers Resistance Movement

Ralli Quays Update

 Hi everyone

There has been some important progress regarding Ralli Quays and I am using this blog to share information as we do not have a dedicated webpage. For more information please email tweet @thelrm or text/whatsapp 07974929589

People who wrote to the DFT to object to the stopping up order recieved an email this week from The DFT caseworker saying 

"The applicant has now advised of their intention not to stop up the whole of the towpath, but reduce the stopping up to only the areas shaded in orange on the revised plan.  This is to provide structural columns in relation to the development.  The revised plan also shows the applicant’s intention to realign and regularise the shape of the towpath. I would therefore be grateful if you could review the attached documents and confirm if this changes the position regarding your objection.  If your objection can be withdrawn, please let me know. Alternatively if your objection remains, please confirm this, stating your reasons.  A response by 13 October 2022 would be appreciated, after which the Secretary of State will decide how best to proceed." (if you want the plans or original email please get in touch

As you may know #OurIrwell, and in particular Steven and I have been in regular contact with the developers over the last few weeks. They had been very keen to engage and we were feeling very positive but were awaiting more detail proposals. Therefore the DFT email took us a bit by surprise. 

Here is our most recent email from the Developers, Legal and General, received on Wednesday and shared here with permission (email contact removed at their request) 

"Would Friday the 7th 10.00-11.00am work for a Teams meeting to run through the design of the lower towpath. A meeting wasn’t organised as the detailed design of the towpath is still underway as we have not yet completed the Stage 3 design for the project. The revised stopping up process has moved much quicker than anticipated. Hopefully by the 7th Oct our architects should have enough to show you on the design. I think that it is unlikely that the final design will be available by the 13th October and will be subject to further design during Stage 4 design which will run through until spring next year. There are really two separate issues here:

  1. Are people happy with the revised proposals to change the shape of the area over which public rights are secured as shown in the revised stopping up plan SK 503. This shows that the yellow and hatched areas will have public rights over them Secured in the new S106 Agreement with the areas to be stopped up now limited to the buildings columns coloured orange. Given that the revised area for public access is the same size as we cannot diminish the floodplain I would hope this can be agreed. If people are happy with the revised layout then hopefully they could withdraw their objections to the stopping up as suitable public rights would be secured  following construction of the project. That leaves us with the 2nd issue – design which is a bit more tricky.
  2. I have attached 3 views and a drawing of the new access stair which I received  2 days ago. I have asked the architects to prepare some further views looking the other way for the meeting. Now that public access will be permitted we need to develop revised lighting designs etc which are being worked upon. With public access permitted at all times it is now important that the finishes and lighting are appropriate to ensure we create a safe attractive environment. What we will be able to show on the 7th is the design intent for the area as opposed to the final signed off design. Hopefully you can see from the initial information we are intending to create an attractive safe environment.

Given that the final design won’t be completed until sometime after the 13th of October then L&G has to find a way of getting the objectors comfortable that L&G will do the right thing in terms of the design so that in a way they trust us enough on our design commitment to withdraw the objections otherwise we will end up at an enquiry on the stopping up needlessly. So apart from just trusting us – maybe the following ideas may give greater comfort.

As the S106 is going back to committee we would be happy to have a provision in the S106 to submit full design details in due course that would need to be signed off by the Council. That obligation probably already exists under the existing resolution which contains an approval mechanism for materials etc.

I would also be happy to make a commitment in an open letter (with the design as it stands at that date) that could be circulated to objectors that we will keep you updated on design development and would consult with you during the process and have regard to your comments.

Ultimately we would want to create an environment on the towpath that everyone is happy with and by dialogue have achieved a positive outcome.

Could you let me have your thoughts on the above and confirm whether the proposed date / time is ok. We would also be happy for other to join that meeting at which EPR will present the design as it stands. Lee is our planning consultant and can probably comment on what mechanisms could be used to ensure we live up to our commitment on design."


Please get in touch if you have any comments on the above or want to see the images (I cant share them on this website obvs) email

Please also contact me if you want to attend the Teams meeting on Friday morning  so we can send a link. Potentially if there are lots of us we may need to think through how to manage the time effectively. This will NOT be the only chance to comment 

Don't withdraw your objection yet! I've contacted The DFT re the timeline and will clarify more later. We all hope to avoid the time, money and risk of a public inquiry but need to be sure we have truly saved the public right of way

Thank you so much for all your support everyone

With love and power
Morag xx

PS If you need a reminder of why we are fighting these Guardian articles give good background

I;ve also just been sent this and we will be asking Salford Council to delay a decision until next month to give us a fair chance


Go Back